The Many Saints of Newark is an upcoming American crime drama film prequel to the story of The Sopranos. It is directed by Alan Taylor and written by David Chase and Lawrence Konner. The film stars Alessandro Nivola, Jon Bernthal, Vera Farmiga, Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, Joey Diaz, Michael Gandolfini and Ray Liotta.
The film was originally intended to be released on September 25, 2020. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, its release date was rescheduled to March 12, 2021.
Beginning in the late 1960s and leading into the 1970s, The Many Saints of Newark offers a look at the relations between the Italian-American and African-American communities in Newark at a time when the 1967 riots in Newark were happening. The film will also feature a teenage Tony Soprano portrayed by James Gandolfini's son, Michael Gandolfini.
- Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti, Christopher Moltisanti's father
- Leslie Odom Jr.
- Jon Bernthal as Giovanni "Johnny Boy" Soprano
- Corey Stoll
- Michael Gandolfini as Tony Soprano
- Billy Magnussen
- John Magaro
- Michela De Rossi
- Ray Liotta
- Vera Farmiga as Livia Soprano
- Joey Diaz
- Nick Vallelonga
- ↑ Nicholson, Rebecca (October 24, 2019). Alessandro Nivola: The Sopranos film was one of the few times I was first choice. The Guardian. Retrieved on August 26, 2020.
- ↑ Hainey, Michael (August 13, 2019). Michael Gandolfini Opens Up About the Difficult Decision to Portray Tony Soprano. Esquire. Retrieved on August 26, 2020.