The Many Saints of Newark is an American crime drama film prequel to the story of The Sopranos. It is directed by Alan Taylor and written by David Chase and Lawrence Konner. The film stars Alessandro Nivola, Jon Bernthal, Vera Farmiga, Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, Joey Diaz, Michael Gandolfini and Ray Liotta.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the film's release has been delayed twice. Originally slated for a September 25, 2020, it was rescheduled to September 24, 2021, before again being delayed to October 1, 2021.
The film was released in the United Kingdom on September 22, 2021.
Beginning in the late 1960’s and leading into the 1970s, The Many Saints of Newark offers a look at the relations between the Italian-American and African-American communities in Newark at a time when the 1967 riots in Newark were happening. The film features a teenage Tony Soprano portrayed by James Gandolfini's son, Michael Gandolfini.
- Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti, Christopher Moltisanti's father
- Leslie Odom Jr. as Harold McBrayer
- Jon Bernthal as Giovanni "Johnny Boy" Soprano
- Corey Stoll as Corrado "Junior" Soprano
- Michael Gandolfini as Tony Soprano
- William Ludwig as Young Tony Soprano
- Billy Magnussen as Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
- John Magaro as Silvio Dante
- Michela De Rossi as Giuseppina Moltisanti
- Ray Liotta as Aldo "Hollywood Dick" Moltisanti and Salvatore "Sally" Moltisanti
- Vera Farmiga as Livia Soprano
- Samson Moeakiola as Lino Bonpensiero
- Joey Diaz as Buddha
- Nick Vallelonga as Carmine Cotuso
- Michael Imperioli as Christopher Moltisanti
- Gabriella La Piazza as Joanne Moltisanti
- Alexandra Intrator as Janice Soprano
- Mattea Conforti as Young Janice Soprano
- Matteo Russo as Young Artie Bucco
- Lauren DiMario as Young Carmela DeAngelis
- Chase Vacnin as Jackie Aprile
- Oberon K.A. Adjepong as Frank Lucas
- Nicholson, Rebecca (October 24, 2019). Alessandro Nivola: The Sopranos film was one of the few times I was first choice. The Guardian. Retrieved on August 26, 2020.
- Hainey, Michael (August 13, 2019). Michael Gandolfini Opens Up About the Difficult Decision to Portray Tony Soprano. Esquire. Retrieved on August 26, 2020.